Tuesday, September 1, 2009

GOD IS GOOD.

This is my first post where anything in my title is capitalized. The reason?

God continues to provide for me, He continues to show me how amazing he is. He continues to challenge me to trust him fully. He continues to show me He is GOOD.

Let me back up.

Since I was 13, I have wanted to be a teacher. My passion for kids has not wavered since then. I started volunteering in the classroom in 7th grade, and did throughout high school. My 10th grade year I opted to do 'running start' which meant that I left high school and took all of my classes at the local community college. During those two years, I was able to work full time, and volunteer every day in elementary schools.

I graduated from college the week before I graduated from high school. That being said, it was hard. People told me I couldn't do it. I was too young, I was going to miss out on high school, it wasn't possible.

I went to college in Seattle where I thought I would be able to get the best education possible for a teacher. Worked my tail off to graduate in 2 years double majoring. Fought like crazy to do my student teaching back in my hometown with my former 3rd and 4th grade teacher. Fell in love with my first set of students and knew I was hooked for life.

My last day of student teacher, I was offered a 2 month long term subbing position in the classroom next door. The day I finished that position, I was offered a month long sub position next door. I then worked as a sub for the last few weeks of school.

The surrounding districts cut teachers, closed schools and started striking. In all this, I had a real peace about the coming fall. And I know that that peace could only come from Him cause God knows that I am not that patient. :)

I applied for all 6 jobs that opened up and then tried to wait patiently remembering that God had me under his wings and I was in his sights. He remembered me.

Got an interview right off the bat for a position that I was not qualified for. However, the interview was a great experience and I am so glad that I did it. When I got the call that I didn't get the position, I was disappointed but okay.

A month went by and August rolled around without anything happening.

Then, you may remember my crazy first week of August which I wrote about here. Interviewed on a crazy crazy day and felt okay about it.

The next week I got the call that I did not get the position. Another lady who had very close connections with the school was offered. It did make me feel a bit better that I had even had an interview because over 100 people applied and only 3 were interviewed.

I felt like I started to question God; why didn't I have a job yet? I wanted to teach so badly and I wanted to be in the classroom this year.

One week ago, I got a call from my principal who offered me a substitute position that could turn into a part time position teaching Kindergarten PE/Art/Music. I was excited because it meant I would have my foot in the door and could be doing something school related. Again, God was all over it. I was reminded of the verse "Be still and know that I am God." I tried to be patient.

Then through a crazy turn of events, the 5th grade spot that I had not gotten dissolved. So Michelle was moved and there was no longer that position available. Except. God is Good.

I had a little bit of a pity party when Michelle got the other position. I doubted. I tried to remember to be patient.

Last Friday at the rodeo, I got 3 phone calls. Because of all the noise, I didn't answer. So, Saturday morning I called Cindy back and she said that the parent gossip was that they let Michelle go too early and they were going to need a 5th grade teacher. That information came to Cindy by one of my former teachers who was looking out for me. God is good.

I woke up Monday to go and meet a teacher to talk about the sub job for Kindergarten. That was my plan, not Gods. He had bigger and better plans for me.

Low and behold, at 8:49, Jeff called me and offered me the 5th grade teaching position at Woodlands Elementary. God is good. He is constant, he does not forget, He is good.

So I am writing this post the night before my career officially starts. I started it last night, worked on it this morning, and am just now finishing it. Probably because I have been so dang busy!

That being said, I have the best and most supportive family and friends. My bestie drove 45 minutes without telling me, and showed up at my front door. She brought me balloons, a gift and the best talking card ever. She took me out to dinner and it was wonderful. She is so thoughtful.

Then, the boy came to my classroom on his day off and helped me do everything. Literally. When I walked into my classroom I had a pile of desks. And that was it. He helped me organized them, moved them, hang things up on the wall, clean, organize, and so much more. He is such a big support and encouragement for me right now and I couldn't live without it. Or him.
Today, I met so many teachers; the only word to describe it is whirlwind. Went out to breakfast with the fam (another tradition), and then spent the day getting things ready, meeting MY STUDENTS at the BBQ, and figuring what the heck I am going to teach!

And now, in the quiet and still of my apartment, before I start my career I am praising my savior for being ever present, ever constant, all knowing, and the one true God.

Tomorrow is a big day for me and I am slightly, no...really nervous. However, I am also so excited that I can hardly stand it.

I am a teacher. God is good all the time. All the time, God is good. God is GREAT.

1 comment:

onemorebaby said...

You are right, of course, God is great! Congrats on your new position... can't wait to hear how it goes! (((hugs)))