Saturday, September 4, 2010

The Boy: The years before...

***Disclaimer: I did borrow this idea from one of my favorite bloggers, Jordan over at www.jorydliz.com. Her blog, “Wide Open Spaces”, is one of my favorite blogs to read…so I am ‘borrowing’ her creative idea…and sharing my love story***

Part One:

Since I was a little girl, I dreamed of getting married. I could totally picture it. Me and my man enjoying life together…kids running around… just soaking it all in. It was picture perfect.

And as one of those people who likes to know a lot about…everything, I read book after book about marriage, relationships, dating, and singleness. I would highlight, underline, write down quotes, and dream about my future life. When I got into high school, I was convinced I would meet my man there and we would live happily ever after. I had life planned out, and I was ready for it to start...

Except, that didn’t happen. I didn’t even date anyone in high school.
But, I figured that was probably better, that way I could meet someone in college and I would THEN live happily ever after. Anyways, none of the guys in high school even came CLOSE to meeting any of the expectations on my “List”.

I think every girl has one. A list of what they want in a husband. And I was pretty particular. And for that, I am so thankful.

While deciding on a college to go to, one reason for choosing a private Christian university was that I would be supposed by people who shared a common faith. And since I wanted to marry someone who shared that with me as well, it seemed like the perfect place. Oh, and they had a great Education department; just a little side note.

During my two years of college, I didn’t date either. And I started to get a little bit nervous. Were my standards too high? Was I being too picky? Maybe I should have been more outgoing. Maybe I should have gone after that person. Maybe I am too shy.

I graduated from college and moved back home. I was starting my student teaching and wasn’t making money, so it was my only option. And not one that would really help in the dating scene if you know what I mean.

But I made it work and dedicated myself to my school and my students. I occasionally went out with friends, but being a full time teacher and full time student was not the easiest thing.

Part way through that year, I started to think…is this what my life is going to be like forever? Am I going to be doing this exact same thing: wake up, go to school, come home, go to bed…lather rinse repeat…10 years from now?

Good thing God is in control of my life and not me. Too be continued…

4 comments:

Charity said...

Ohh yays! i am so excited for this story!!! :)

Katie said...

I like this story too :)

Jordy Liz said...

about time you share this story!

p.s. it looks like the link to my blog has a typo. :)

Katie said...

Thank you for catching that...fixed it! :)