Wednesday, January 11, 2012

midweek confessions 1...

Saw this idea over at Thoughts and Ramblings from a Crazy Person, one of my favorite blogs to read.  Love the honesty! :)  So today I am linking up to

Monday was my first morning with my student teacher.  So, in order to look good be super prepared, I was at school by 7:00 and when she walked in at 8:30, I was energentic, happy, and all set to go.  Tuesday morning?  Rolled in to school at 8:10.  Sat at my desk checking e-mails and looking at Pinterest teaching stuff until my first kiddos walked in at 8:50. 

This morning?  Went back to sleep after the hubby left and slept an extra hour.  Something about that hour that does miracles for my mood.

Tuesday while running a small group during Daily 5, we were talking about synonyms, or for those of you who may have forgotten 5th grade vocabulary, two words with the same meaning.  I asked if anyone remembered what a synonym was, and one of my sweet peas quick had an answer.  "Yes!  It's like when you call someone a witch, but you really want to call them a.... ".  She quickly faded out at the end realizing swearing in front of your teacher at all was not a good idea.  Enter: me turning my head quickly and moving on to antonyms while trying not to laugh.

I have been trying to exercise at least 4 times per week.  So last night, it was to the YMCA we went.  Again.  Two nights in a row!  We did the elliptical, and got a good workout in including 35 minutes straight on Fat Burner.  My screen told me I burned 398 calories.  However, when I entered my exercise into www.myfitnesspal.com, it told me that 35 minutes on the elliptical would count at 536 calories burned.  I went with the 536 as my entry.

Yesterday, my class at a 10 minute discussion about how having a horse in your house would not be a good idea.  Especially when they had to poop.  Welcome to 5th grade.  During the discussion, my students were able to make wonderful sentences using the complexor AND, which is why I just let it happen.  Should be exciting when today we using the complexor BUT. 

Happy rest of the week!

5 comments:

TheHouse said...

Ha! Your story about your student cracked me up. We revisit synonyms in 10th grade so we can discuss connotation and denotation, and, I gotta tell you, the connotation behind b!$#@ is a little different than the one for witch :)

Sabrina said...

Loved your confessions! I start student teaching on Monday (I'm high school/history).

Loved your blog--you've got a new follower!!! :)

Katie said...

@CrysHouse - There is never a dull moment while teaching!

@Sabrina - Thank you! I took a 'blogging break'... for almost a year, and I am SO glad to be back! Thanks for following! Good luck with student teaching... I have my first student teacher following me around this year!

Unknown said...

I teach 8th grade and we had a talk about poop today too. Glad to know they don't really change...except mine would have dropped the b-word.

Jessica said...

Ha! When I had student teachers, I recall getting there early to look super good..err.. prepared also! : ) Haha!
Yes!! Adore thumbprint cookies! Aren't they soo good?