Sunday, January 15, 2012

the best ham I have ever had...

I saw a this recipe on Pinterest  for a crockpot ham...and decided to give it a shot.  

I've never made a ham on my own and wasn't sure how it would turn out but decided to give it a shot!

Growing up, we would go over to my Nana's house about once a month, and we always had the EXACT same thing.  Ham, 'ice cream' mashed potatoes, and green beans.  

The ham was cooked ALL day, and was so incredibly salty you needed a few gallons glasses of water to make you feel better.

So, when the hubs and I went grocery shopping, we looked for a spiral cut ham.  At Costco it was close to $40 dollars for one!  Probably because it could feed an army was close to 20 pounds.  In other words, not for us.  When we went to Safeway, we hunted through the Manager's Special of hams, and found the cheapest one.  A 10 pound ham, normally $36 dollars, on sale for $12!  

In addition you need:
  • 1 1/2 cups brown sugar (rubbed all over)
  • 2 cups of pineapple juice ( I used 2 cans of pineapple chunks and it was DELICIOUS)
  • 1/2 cups of syrup (I used just regular syrup, it said to use maple, but that was all we had!)
On Saturday I popped it in the crockpot, flat side down, and rubbed it all over with the brown sugar.  We poured the pineapple juice and and syrup on top.  Then, since the lid wouldn't fit, I just covered it with four layers of foil and called it good!

Set the crock pot on low, and leave it for 4-5 hours!  After about 4 hours, pour some of the juice back up on top.  


Seriously, this was the BEST ham I have EVER had.  It was wonderful.  

I think this could become a monthly recipe... especially since it will last us about a week! 
    

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This really sounds delicious!